What is the Friends and Families Committee?
The Committee provides opportunities for all friends and families of students at the school to:
- Work together to contribute to the wellbeing of the school community
- Discuss issues concerned with the welfare and the general education policy of the school
- Contribute to proposals on school policy and other educational issues to the School Council via an elected representative
- Get to know each other and be informed about their child’s school
- Raise funds for the benefit of the school
Activities of the Committee
The Committee regularly organises activities and fundraisers to enhance the students’ school experience. Here is a small sample of the activities the Committee has undertaken in the past:
- Contributing funding for school infrastructure projects, including the Centenary Playground, the construction of a concrete pathway and carport shelter
- Organising information and welcome events for new students and parents at the school
- Co-funding the Life Education Van
- School discos (twice each year)
- Mother’s Day and Father’s Day stalls
- Small fundraisers including raffles
- Coordinating Grade 6 badges and year books
Joining the Committee
The Committee is open to all friends and families of APS students who wish to get together and contribute to the school community.
There is a $1 annual membership fee to join the Committee and it is not a huge time commitment. Even if you can only give an hour of your year to supporting the APS school community, you’re encouraged to join the Committee.
Meetings are held monthly at Altona Primary School, with less formal catch-ups during the school year as needed.
If you are interested in joining, email APSFriendsandFamilies@gmail.com with the following information: Name, email address, phone number, and your child’s name and year level. You can pay your membership fee at the next monthly meeting or by arrangement with the Treasurer.
Connect with the Committee
Email the Executive Committee with any questions, suggestions or feedback: APSFriendsandFamilies@gmail.com.
Visit the noticeboard outside the back entrance of the APS Administration Office for news and information.
Executive Committee Members 2018
Chelsea Hughes - President
Amy Leeder - Secretary
Anusha Ranasinghe-Kidd - Treasurer
2018 Meeting Dates
Tuesday, 13 February, 9am, APS Staff Room
Tuesday, 20 March, 9am, APS Staff Room
Tuesday, 17 April, 9am, APS Staff Room
Tuesday, 22 May, 9am, APS Staff Room
Tuesday, 12 June, 9am, APS Staff Room
Tuesday 17 July, 9am, APS Staff Room
Tuesday 14 August, 9am, APS Staff Room
Tuesday 11 September, 9am, APS Staff Room
Tuesday 9 October, 9am, APS Staff Room
Tuesday 13 November, 9am, AGM, APS Staff Room